- The planet is in peril and we would like it to be around for a while longer in as pristine condition as possible – not just for us but for the generations to come after us.
- Greener options are better options – the more we study eco-friendly alternatives the more we realise that our human bodies really enjoy them over fossil-fuel based, overly-processed options. Think about living next to a coal-fired plant vs. a wind farm.
- Eco-friendly is increasingly more wallet friendly - while it took significant investments in finding environmentally friendly substitutes for our energy production and consumer goods, those investments are starting to pay off and when we look at the overall price of switching to eco-friendly options the math is starting to favour the green alternatives.
So the world is moving in the right direction and what we need now is a nudge to accelerate the revolution. And the best news is that it doesn’t have to be hard. In fact, we can change the world with a few slight tweaks to our current lifestyles.
One very impactful tweak deals with how we behave as consumers in today’s marketplace. In this respect the hardest part has already been done by companies that recognise the need to go green and have created eco-friendly alternatives for our everyday needs. The most dramatic, and headline grabbing, are the successes of some automobile companies with skyrocketing stock prices and rocket-speed performance of electric powered vehicles. There are other, less dramatic, but just as impactful examples of eco-friendly ways to make the world a better place. The following are just a few shout-outs to things to be aware of when you make purchasing choices:
- Choose Your Materials Wisely. This goes for any product you purchase, be considerate of the fact that cheap plastic made materials often have a high cost to our planet as they end up in trash faster due to their lack of quality and contribute to the many great garbage heaps of unrecyclable materials across the globe. Look for products that are built out of recyclable materials or high quality materials that retain their value after the product has outlived its use – for example high-grade metals like aluminium.
- Pick Green Appliances and Electronics. Whether it is your fridge, washer/drier or TV, the green options will save the planet and save you money on your electricity bill. Look for the energy rating stickers on these every day appliances and choose the ones that consume less. The cool thing is that performance won’t suffer as these days efficiency is also synonymous with the latest technology.
- Make Eco-Friendly Impact In Your Workspace. Whether it’s your home or office, there are tons of technological advances that can improve your relationship with the planet. Computers and monitors for example will very clearly indicate their energy ratings to help you make the right decision. But there are other factors, one big one being lighting that can make a huge difference. Consider for a minute that simply switching from incandescent lighting to LED powered bulbs can reduce your energy usage for illumination by 80-90%. Another cool thing is that making the switch to LED will extend the use of your bulbs by up to 50 times. And when it comes to performance, LED powered lighting is now chosen for its eye-friendly qualities when it comes to illumination.
So there you have it. These are just a few ways for you to make a big impact on your eco footprint. The most important thing is being aware and making the right - the greener - decisions in your everyday life.
2016 Lamp Design Trends You Don’t Want to Miss Out On!